Tomato - 4
Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
Garlic - 4 pods (finely chopped)
Green chilli - 1
Curry leaves - 6
Fresh Coriander - 2 twigs
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tablespoon
Channa Dal (yellow split peas) - 1/4 tablespoon
Urud Dal - 1/4 tablespoon
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Red chilli powder - 1/4 tablespoon
Salt - to taste
Water - 1/4 cup
1. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds.Once the mustard split add channa dal and urud dal and fry them till they turn golden brown.Later add cumin seeds and curry leaves and fry them.
2. Add green chilli and then onion. Sauté till the colour of the onions change and add garlic and fry until the raw smell goes off.
3. Add tomato,turmeric powder,red chilli powder,salt and fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add water and close the pan with a lid and cook it for 7-8 minutes.
5. once it is cooled mash it finely with a masher and garnish with fresh coriander.
Tomato curry is ready to be served.
* Tomato purée or canned tomatoes can also be used.