I recently learnt this recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor's cookery show. Just a small twist to our usual pooris. Taste wise it did not make much of a difference but I was happy choosing a healthier option of adding spinach to our deep fried pooris. The colour of the poori was really appealing. Hope you enjoy!
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Spinach - 2 cups
Water - as required
Salt - to taste
Oil - for deep frying
1. Wash and blanch the spinach for 3 minutes in a microwave oven or simply cook it in a pan for 3 minutes and allow it to cool.
2. Grind the spinach into a fine paste.
3. Add the ground spinach to the flour along with salt and 1/4 tablespoon of oil and knead. Then add required amount of water and knead it into a dough as required for pooris and rotis. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
4. Meantime heat oil in a pan required for deep frying. The oil should be super duper hot, only then the pooris will puff up.
5. Roll thin pooris and deep fry them. Drain excess oil using kitchen towel and serve.
Pooris tastes good with potato masal. I tried it with chicken gravy and it was amazing too!
* Do not add too much of water to the dough, else the pooris will consume lot of oil.
* The oil should be super duper hot, only then the pooris will puff up.
* You can also add a tablespoon of rava/semolina/sooji to get crispy pooris.