Quail is a gift to chicken lovers, who are very much conscious about low fat diet. Quail, known for its bony figure is an exceptional source of minerals and vitamin, and has low fat content. Its quick and easy to prepare. You will just love the taste of this Kaadai Milagu Masala.
Quail/Kaadai/ Codorniz - 250 gm
Oil- 2 Tbsp
Onion- 1 (Big- cut into julienne)
Green chilly- 2
Ginger-garlic paste- 1 Tbsp
Cinnamon- a little piece
Coriander powder- 1 Tbsp
Chilly powder- 1/2 Tbsp
Black pepper powder- 2 Tbsp
Salt- to taste
Lemon juice- 1/2 Tbsp
Chicken masala- optional
- Marinate the quail chicken pieces with a pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2 Tbsp ginger-garlic paste, half tsp chicken masala or chilly powder and half Tbsp lemon juice. Keep the marinade in the fridge for 20-30 mins
- In a pan, heat oil and fry cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves.
- Fry Onions and green chilly along with the above mentioned seasonings, to golden brown. Add the remaining ginger-garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes.
- Add coriander powder and chilly powder to the onions.
- When the oil begins to separate, add chopped tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes cook well.
- Now, add the quail chicken marinade to the masala and cook well. Add salt according to your taste.
- When the chicken is half done, add black pepper powder to it and mix.
- Sprinkle little water, now and then, until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Add the remaining 1/2 Tbsp of lemon juice, coriander leaves and mint leaves before removing the chicken from the fire.
- Quail gets cooked very quickly. Do not pour more water to cook it. Just sprinkle water whenever necessary.
- Freshly ground black pepper adds more taste to the chicken.