We are aware that spinach is rich in vitamins and minerals. I always cook spinach once or twice a week either with paneer or lentils. Here I have shared the spinach and lentil version.
Spinach - 1 cup
Red Lentil - 1/4 cup
Tomato - 1 (chopped)
Garlic - 3 pods
Pepper corns - 5
Cumin seeds - 1/4 Tablespoon
Red chilli - 2
Water - 1/4 cup
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Curry leaves - 5
Oil - 1/2 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1/4 Tablespoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tablespoon
Salt - to taste
1. Wash spinach and red lentil in water and boil all the items mentioned under the to boil header in a pressure cooker (5 whistles) or in a thick bottomed pan (15 mins)
2. Once they are boiled, allow them to cool and mash everything finely.
3. Now heat oil in a pan and allow the mustard seeds to splutter and add the curry leaves and turmeric powder followed by onion and salt.
4. Sauté the onion until it is cooked and add the mashed spinach and lentil mix and stir.
5. Bring it to boil and turn the heat off.
Curry is ready to be served with rice or roti!
* Any lentil can be used, say for example green gram, broken green gram, etc.,
* A scoop of ghee can be used instead of oil for rich flavour.