Kichidi is one of the quick one-pot dish recipes. The semolina is cooked with fried lentils and vegetables. It is served with coconut chutney and sambar. Cracked wheat can also be used as a substitute for the semolina. Enjoy the recipe!
Semolina - 1 cup
Onion - 1/2 (finely chopped)
Carrot - 1/2 (finely chopped)
Beans - 4 (finely chopped)
Peas - 2 Tablespoon
Green Chilli - 2 (cut lengthwise)
Ginger - 1 Tablespoon (grated)
Curry Leaves - 10
Tomato - 1 (roughly chopped)
Oil - 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
Channa dal - 1/4 Teaspoon
Urud dahl - 1/4 Teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
Water - 3 1/2 cups
Salt - To taste
1. Heat a pan and dry roast the semolina in a medium heat until it turns slightly brown and keep aside in a plate.
2. Heat oil in the same pan and add mustard seeds, urud dahl and channa dahl and roast them. Then add the green chillies and curry leaves.
3. Now add the onions, ginger and tomato and cook along with salt and turmeric. Later add the rest of the veggies and cook covered for 4 minutes.
4. Add water and bring it to boil. Add the roasted semolina and stir thoroughly else lumps will be formed easily. Keep stirring constantly.
5. Check for salt and remove from fire once the semolina thickens to your required consistency.
Kichidi is ready to be served.
* Kichidi also tastes good with sugar.
* Cracked wheat instead of semolina can also be used.
* Dried nuts can also be added.