Beans are the good source of proteins but they should be cooked properly. Uncooked or half-cooked beans will be hazardous to our body. Here I have shared a tangy curry combining the red kidney beans and baby aubergines. Enjoy!
Egg plant - 5 (cut lengthwise)
Red kidney beans - 100 g (soaked and boiled)
Shallots - 10 - 15 (peeled)
Garlic pods - 10 (peeled)
Tomato - 2 (medium, puréed)
Curry leaves - 10
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds - 1 teaspoon
Dried red chilli - 2
Salt - as required
Tamarind juice - 2 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 tablespoon
Sambar powder - 1 teaspoon (optional)
1. Wash and soak the red kidney beans for aleast 8 hours. Pressure cook the beans along with little water and keep aside. It takes at least 8 whistles to get completely cooked.
2. Heat oil in a pan allow the mustard seeds to crack. Now add the fenugreek seeds followed but the curry leaves and dried red chillies.
3. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the cut aubergines and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Now add all the masalas along with salt and fry for a minute until the raw smell of the masalas go away.
5. Add the tomato purée and cook for another 3 minutes and add the cooked beans along with the water and add the tamarind pulp as well.
6. Add little water if required and reduce the heat to medium and cook until oil separates from the gravy.
Red kidney beans with baby aubergines curry is ready to be served.
* This curry goes well with rice.
* Allow this curry to stand for atleast an hour after cooking to get better taste.
* Make sure the beans are completely cooked else they can be fatal.