Courgettes are similar in taste to our desi ridge gourd but has a smooth epiderm compared to the ridged gourd. They come in green and golden yellow colours in the market. I have not tried the yellow ones but the green ones are really tasty and similar to cucumber in its appearance. I have shared a simple curry recipe, Enjoy!
Courgettes - 2 ( finely diced )
Onion ( medium ) - 1 ( finely chopped )
Tomato ( big ) - 1 ( finely chopped )
Green Chillies - 2 ( slit lengthwise )
Garlic - 3 pods ( finely chopped )
Curry leaves - 10
Mustard seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt - as required
Oil - 1 Tablespoon
Water - 1/2 cup
1. Heat oil in a pan and allow the mustard seeds to splutter. Then add the cumin seeds.
2. Now add the green chillies, curry leaves and onion and cook them for 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and once the raw smell is gone add the tomatoes and cook until it is completely mashed.
4. Add the courgettes followed by turmeric and coriander powder and give a good stir.
5. Add water and salt, cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Open the lid and give a quick stir and turn off the heat.
Courgettes curry is ready to be served with rice or roti.