Avial is typically a keralan dish and served mainly with the onam sadhyas. As I had an opportunity to be with Malayalis during my schooling and working days, I relished this dish every now and then. When you have few left over vegetables in your refrigerator you can whip up this dish which is very delicious and nutritious at the same time. Enjoy!
2 cups of mixed veggies including
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Salt - as required
Oil - 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1 Teaspoon
Curry leaves - 10
Turmeric powder - 3/4 Teaspoon
Yoghurt - 1 cup
Coconut - 3 Tablespoon
Cumin seeds - 1 Teaspoon
Green chillies - 3
Garlic - 2 pods
Ginger - 1 cm thick
Onion - 1/2 or Shallots - 7
1. Cut all the veggies into equal shapes and sizes and keep aside.
2. Grind all the ingredients mentioned under the to grind header into a smooth or coarse paste with little water.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow them to split open. Then add the curry leaves followed by the veggies and ground paste.
4. Add turmeric and salt and water and mix thoroughly.
5. Cover and cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until the veggies are completely cooked.
6. Finally add the yoghurt and give a good mix. Care should be taken not to break the cooked veggies.
* Any vegetable of your choice can be added. But should not be slimy like lady's finger. It will ruin the texture of the dish.