Dahl curry is a simple recipe but is favoured by most of the Indians for its rich flavour,texture and colour. It is a good combination with both rice and roti.Dahl tempered with ghee and curry leaves gives a wonderful aroma that the whole house will be filled with it.My husband loves it a lot and I make it often for him.Dahl along with rice and ghee will be the first solid food given to the new borns in Tamil culture.My favourite will be rice+dahl+appalam(papad)+lime pickle - an unbeatable combination and I can have it round the year.Lets go to the recipe now.
Toor Dahl/Red Lentils - 1/2 cup
Water - 1 cup
Red Chilli - 3
Tomato - 1 (cut into 4 pieces)
Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
Cumin seeds - 1 Teaspoon
Black pepper corns - 5
Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Garlic - 3 pods
Ghee - 1 Teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/4 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 10 leaves
1. Pressure cook (up to 4 whistles) or microwave (15 mins,high) dahl,cut tomato,garlic,1/4 T/S cumin seeds,peppercorns,red chillies,turmeric powder along it water.
2. Wait for the pressure to release completely and then mash the cooked ingredients thoroughly.
3. Take a pan and heat ghee in medium heat then add mustard seeds and wait till it splits.
4. Add the rest 1/4 T/S cumin seeds,curry leaves ,asafoetida and onion. Sauté till onion is cooked.
5. Now add the mashed dahl mixture,add salt to taste and bring it to a boil.
Simple dahl curry is ready to be served.
* Never add salt to lentils when it is boiled with water instead 2 to 3 drops of any cooking oil can be added which will speed up the boiling process.