I recently stumbled on this egg korma recipe in the net and tried, it came out amazingly well. It is a mildly spiced and creamy dish.We normally used to boil eggs, cut them into half and drop them in the korma. But this version has the raw egg directly dropped in the korma. I often make this dish for the dinner along with the rotis and has become the hot favourite of my husband. Enjoy!
Eggs - 4
Fresh grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Cashew nuts (whole) - 10-15
Oil - 1 Tablespoon
Cardamom - 1
Bay Leaf - 1
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
Fennel seeds - 1/4 Tablespoon
Green chilli - 2
Onion - 1 Medium (chopped)
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 Tablespoon
Tomato - 1 Medium (chopped)
Fresh Coriander - For garnishing
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tablespoon
Coriander powder - 1 Tablespoon
Red chilli powder - 1/4 Tablespoon
Sambar powder -1/4 Tablespoon (optional)
Water - 1 1/2 cups
1. Heat oil in a deep pan with thick bottom.Drop the cardamom,bay leaf,cloves,cinnamon and fennel seeds in the oil and fry for 15 seconds.Then add green chillies.
2. Add onion and sauté till it is cooked and add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
3. Then add the chopped tomato,salt,turmeric powder,red chilli powder,coriander powder,sambar powder add fry till the raw smell of the masalas go away and oil oozes out from the masala mixture.
4. Meanwhile grind the grated coconut and cashew nuts into a fine paste by adding little water.
5. Once the masala is completely cooked,add the ground coconut cashew paste and the water.
6.Give it a quick stir and bring it to a boil.
7. Once the korma becomes thick and creamy, reduce the flame to medium heat and break in the eggs one at a time as shown in the picture above.Do not stir the korma, else the eggs will break and it will be a big disaster.
8. It will take10-15 mins for the eggs to cook completely.Once the eggs are cooked completely you can break them if you feel that they are too big.
9.Turn off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander.
Egg korma is an excellent dish with rotis and dosas.