I had beetroot chutney in a hospital canteen in Coimbatore which was really yummy and since then I wanted to try this recipe. Finally I prepared the chutney similar to that of tomato chutney. It was a bit sweet but adding an extra green or red chilli should alter the taste. It serves as an excellent combo with idli, dosa and even as sides to rice. Enjoy!
Beetroot (medium) - 1 (cut into small chunks)
Onion (medium) - 1 (sliced lengthwise)
Tomato (medium) - 1 (sliced lengthwise)
Grated Coconut - 4 Tablespoon
Red Chilli - 4
Garlic - 3 pods
Curry leaves - 10
Urud dahl - 1 Teaspoon
Channa dahl - 1 Teaspoon
Tamarind juice - 2 Tablespoon
Oil - 1 Tablespoon
Salt - to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and roast the urud and channa dahl until they become golden brown and then add the curry leaves and red chilli.
2. Now add the onion, garlic and tomato and sauté until they are cooked.
3. Add the beetroot and salt and sauté until it is cooked completely.
4. Allow the mixture to cool and grind it into a fine or coarse paste with tamarind juice, grated coconut and little water.
* You can also do the final seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves in oil.