Chinese chicken is yet another recipe which I learnt from Sushma and it was passed on to her by her mother who is an awesome cook. This chicken will be hot and sweet and goes well with pulav. This dish is basically a desi version of the authentical Chinese recipe. I have already passed on this recipe to my cousins and in-laws who simply loved it. Credentials to Sushma! Hope you love it too... Enjoy!
Chicken - 1 kg
Oil - 1 Tablespoon
Onion (medium) - 2 (chopped)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 Tablespoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
Balsamic vinegar - 50 ml (optional)
Red chilli - 4
Green chilli - 5
Scallion/Spring onions - 2 (chopped)
Capsicum - 1/2 cup (diced)
Salt - to taste
Soya sauce - 1 1/2 Tablespoon
Red chilli sauce - 1/2 Tablespoon (optional)
Tomato sauce - 2 Tablespoon
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the onions and sauté until they are completely cooked and mashed.
2. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw smell goes off.
3. Now add the chicken along with turmeric powder and salt and stir until the chicken start to ooze out water.
4. Then add the balsamic vinegar, give a quick stir, reduce the heat and slow cook the chicken for 45 minutes with a lid on top. Stir the chicken occasionally.
5. Meantime grind the red and green chillies into a fine paste and add it to the chicken in between, say after 20 minutes of its cooking.
6. After 45 minutes, open the lid, turn the heat to high and allow the stock to reduce by constant stirring.
7. Once the stock is reduced, add the sauces, scallions and capsicum and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, so that each chicken piece is coated well with the sauces. Turn the heat off.
Chinese chicken is ready to be served.
* Balsamic vinegar is optional but it lends an amazing taste to the dish.
* Sauces can be adjusted according to your taste.
* Cooking the chicken in medium or low heat will make it soft, juicy and tender.
* If you need more gravy then do not allow the stock to completely dry.