Carrot rice is an easy and healthy rice dish which I enjoyed the most when I was a kid. It can be prepared in matter of no time and serves good for a packed lunch. Here is my version of carrot rice...Enjoy!
Boiled rice - 2 cups
Carrot - 2 cups (grated)
Onion (medium) - 1 (chopped)
Green chilli - 2 (split lengthwise)
Oil - 1 Tablespoon
Ghee - 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1 Tablespoon
Yellow split peas/Channa dahl - 1 Tablespoon
White lentil/Urud dahl - 1 Tablespoon
Curry leaves - 15
Turmeric powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt - to taste
1. Boil the rice with 1/4 cup less water then the usual ratio and allow it to cool completely.
2. Heat oil in a pan and allow the mustard seeds to splutter. Add the channa and urad dahl and fry till they become golden yellow.
3. Now add the green chillies and onion followed by salt and turmeric powder and sauté till the onions are completely cooked.
4. Add the grated carrot, mix everything and cook for 10 minutes till the carrot is completely cooked. There should be no water left in the pan.
5. Mix the rice with the carrot mixture with a dollop of ghee and check for salt.
Carrot rice is ready to be served.
* Roasted cashew nuts can be added to the rice.