Aloo dum is one of the famous north indian dishes which I recently tried with my own twist. It had a rich creamy texture and the baby potatoes looked beautiful in the cream. It went very well with roti. Enjoy!
Baby potatoes - 10
Oil - 1 Tablespoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 Teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 1/2 Teaspoon
Garam masala - 1/4 Teaspoon
Fresh coriander leaves - to garnish
Water - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Onion (big) - 1 (chopped lengthwise)
Tomato (big) - 1 (chopped lengthwise)
Garlic - 3
Ginger - 1/2 inch
Cashew nuts - 10
Fennel seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
1. Sauté all the items mentioned under the to grind header with 1/2 tablespoon of oil for 5 minutes and allow them to cool. Grind them into a fine paste.
2. Clean and wash the baby potatoes and boil them completely with water for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Heat rest of the oil in a pan and add the ground paste to it along with 1cup of water, salt, turmeric, coriander and chilli powder and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Now add the boiled baby potatoes and the garam masala and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Aloo dum is ready to be served.
* If you do not have baby potatoes any potato variety can be used. Peel the skin and cut them into bite sized chunks.