Friday 3 February 2012

Strawberry Jam

This is a recipe that I learnt from my Columbian friend. I got the courage to prepare this jam because of its quick and easy recipe. Though I am not a lover of jams, I like to spread this jam in the cake I bake. Normally, I prepare this jam in a very small amount so it runs out very fast. If stored in a proper way, this jam can be prepared in a considerable amount and can be stored for months.
Ingredients
Strawberries- 1 Cup
Sugar- 1 cup
Water- 1/4 cup
Cinnamon powder- a pinch
Method
  1. Wash the strawberries and wipe them dry with paper towel. Cut the berries into half.
  2. Heat a non-stick pan and add the cut berries into it. Saute them dry for less than a minute in low fire.
  3. Add 1/4 cup of water to the berries and 1 cup of sugar to it. 
  4. Let it boil well, and stir frequently, preferably with wooden spoon to prevent from sticking to the bottom. 
  5. When the berries are half done, add a pinch of cinnamon powder and allow to cook well. 
  6. It will take around 20 mins, for it to come to jam consistency. 
  7. To check if the jam is done, drop little jam in a glass plate and move the plate. If the jam sticks to the plate without moving, switch of the fire and allow it to cool.
  8. Storing in a proper way is very important. Wash a glass bottle with soapy solution, clean it well with water, wipe it and keep it in the preheated oven for ten mins, until the moisture dries out. Store jam in the bottle and when the bottle cools down store in the refrigerator.
Note
  • This recipe can also be prepared with blackberry, cherry and peach. Though, I haven't used any other fruits for this, I have heard from my friend that any fruit except banana can be used.
  • Cinnamon can be replaced by juice from a whole lemon. It also tastes very good. 
  • This jam, when it is half done, can be used as a desert too. 
  • Do not add excess water.


No comments:

Post a Comment